Nowadays it is very easy to talk about high-end robot hoovers, but it is necessary to demonstrate why we qualify them as such. In this article, I want to talk about what are, for me, the most complete at the moment: Roborock S8 vs Roomba S9+. I have tested both and I have a lot to say about their performance and power.
For this reason, in this article I show you everything you need to know if you are thinking of buying one of these two robot hoovers or any of their versions. This way, you will be able to make the right choice depending on what your characteristics are.
Roborock S8 vs Roomba s9+: main similarities
The Roborock S8, S8+, S8 Pro Ultra and Roomba S9+ have several features in common. Here are some of the shared features:
- Self-draining base: the Roborock S8 and Roomba S9 do not have a self-draining base, but both models have versions where we can incorporate one. The Roborock S8+, S8 Pro Ultra and Roomba s9+ do have a base. In fact, on the S8 Pro Ultra it’s super advanced, and we can not only empty it automatically, but it has enhanced cleaning.
- Smart navigation: All four models use advanced navigation technologies to map and navigate your home, allowing them to clean efficiently and avoid obstacles. Although, as we’ve already told you, it’s not the same technology, but it is smart in both cases.
- Anti-tangle brushes: All four models have anti-tangle brushes that prevent hair and other debris from getting caught in the brush roller.
- Automatic recharge and restart: All four models can automatically return to their charging base when their battery is low and resume cleaning once they are fully charged.
- HEPA filtration: All four models use high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filters to trap allergens and other microscopic particles, improving air quality.
- Voice control: Each model can be controlled by voice commands through popular voice assistants such as Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. So, if you have this type of home automation in your home, you will be able to integrate them without any problem.
- Mobile app: Each model comes with a companion app that allows you to control the robot hoover, schedule cleanings and customise cleaning preferences.
- Obstacle and unevenness detection: Each model has sensors that detect stairs and other unevenness, preventing the robot hoover from falling and causing damage.
Overall, these features make the Roborock S8, S8+, S8 Pro Ultra and Roomba S9+ very capable robot vacuums that can clean your home efficiently and effectively.
What are their differences?
Roborock S8, S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra are robot vacuums manufactured by Roborock, while Roomba S9+ is a robot vacuum manufactured by iRobot. Here are the main differences between these models:
- Cleaning power: Roomba S9+ has the most powerful suction of the four models, with 40 times the suction power of Roomba’s 600 series. The Roborock S8, S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra have slightly less suction power, but are still powerful enough to pick up dirt and debris.
- Navigation: All four models use advanced navigation technologies, but the Roborock S8, S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra use LiDAR (laser) technology to map and navigate your home, while the Roomba S9+ uses vSLAM (simultaneous visual location and mapping) technology.
- Mapping: The Roborock S8, S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra can map and remember up to four different levels of your home, while the Roomba S9+ can map and remember up to ten different levels of your home.
- Battery life: The Roborock S8 has a battery life of up to 180 minutes, the S8+ has a battery life of up to 150 minutes and the S8 Pro Ultra has a battery life of up to 150 minutes, while the Roomba S9+ has a battery life of up to 120 minutes.
- Tank capacity: The Roborock S8, S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra have a capacity of 460 ml, while the Roomba S9+ has a capacity of 400 ml.
- Scrub function: Roborock S8, S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra have a scrub function, while Roomba S9+ does not. This function allows the Roborock models to vacuum and mop the floor.
- Noise level: The Roborock S8, S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra have a noise level of 67dB, while the Roomba S9+ has a noise level of 65dB.
- Price: The Roborock S8 is the most affordable of the three, followed by the S8+ and S8 Pro Ultra. The Roomba S9+ is the most expensive, as is usual with this brand.
The main differences between these models come down to cleaning power, navigation, battery life, bin capacity, mapping capabilities, noise level and price.
What aspects would you highlight about each robot hoover?
In addition to knowing the differences and similarities, I’ve realised that we need to know the advantages and disadvantages that each one has. I’ll tell you about them here:
Roomba s9+: Positive aspects
In this section, I’ll tell you what I like most about Roomba s9+:
- Better suction power: Roomba s9+ has a more powerful motor which translates into more suction power, making it more effective at picking up dirt and debris from carpets and hard floors.
- Advanced navigation: Roomba s9+ uses a sophisticated mapping system to navigate your home, allowing it to clean more efficiently and effectively. It can also learn the layout of your home over time and create a personalised cleaning map. In contrast, Roborock s8+ uses laser navigation, which is still good, but not as advanced as Roomba’s navigation system.
- Self-cleaning base: Roomba s9+ features a unique self-cleaning base that automatically empties the vacuum’s bin, so you don’t have to do it manually. This is a great advantage if you have pets or allergies and want to minimise your exposure to dust and allergens. It should be noted that the Roborock S8+ and Pro Ultra also have this base, although Roomba’s has slightly more capacity.
- Corner cleaning: Roomba s9+ has a D-shaped design that allows it to reach into tight corners and along edges more effectively than the Roborock s8+.
If you value advanced navigation, strong suction power and a self-cleaning base, Roomba s9+ would be the better choice. However, if you prioritise a lower price and don’t mind slightly less advanced navigation, then the Roborock s8+ may be a good option for you.
Roborock S8: What are its advantages?
Although there are three different models, I have unified the advantages to make it easier for you to read:
- Longer battery life: The Roborock S8+ has a longer battery life than the Roomba S9+. It can clean for up to 180 minutes on a single charge, while the Roomba S9+ can clean for up to 120 minutes.
- Mopping function: The Roborock S8+ has a mopping function, which allows you to vacuum and mop your floors at the same time. This function can be very useful if you have hard floors that require regular scrubbing.
- Larger tank capacity: The Roborock S8+ has a larger capacity tank than the Roomba S9+. It can hold up to 640 ml of dirt and debris, while the Roomba S9+ can hold up to 400 ml.
- Lower price: The Roborock S8+ is generally cheaper than the Roomba S9+, which can be an important factor for budget-conscious buyers.
- Quieter operation: The Roborock S8+ operates at a lower noise level than the Roomba S9+, which may be beneficial if you have sensitive hearing or prefer a quieter home environment.
- Highly customisable: The Roborock S8+ allows for highly customisable cleaning preferences, including no-go zones, zone cleaning and virtual boundaries. This can be useful if you want to tailor cleaning to specific areas of your home or if you have areas you want to avoid.
- Cheaper than Roomba s9+
Overall, the Roborock S8+ is a very capable robot hoover that offers several advantages over the Roomba S9+. If you’re looking for a robot hoover with a mop function, longer battery life and a lower price, the Roborock S8+ might be the best option for you.
Roborock S8 vs Roomba s9+: Which one do I recommend?
Now that I’ve told you the reasons why we would choose one or the other, it’s solely up to you to make the final decision. I think the value for money of the Roborock is great, because in practice the result is very good and it’s a lot cheaper. Having said that, I recognise that Roomba is a brand that offers a level of safety that no one else can, so it depends on what your priorities and preferences are. With either, you’ll have an invaluable cleaning assistant.