JBL Xtreme 3 and Charge 5 are speakers that come from the same generation of the JBL brand, although the Charge 5 was launched more recently, in January of this year. They have many elements in common, so in the JBL Xtreme 3 Vs Charge 5 comparison it’s not easy to make a definitive decision.
If you’ve come this far trying to find out which of these two speakers is better, here’s what we think is the winning model between JBL Xtreme 3 and Charge 5 and what their main differences are.
If you want to know which speaker is better between these JBL Xtreme and Charge models, we’ll tell you!
Xtreme 3, the most powerful with high quality sound
The JBL Xtreme 3 is a compact, waterproof and dustproof portable Bluetooth speaker with PartyBoost that lets you enjoy up to 15 hours of continuous playback wherever you go.
You can take it with you with its comfortable strap, even to the beach, pool or shower. You can connect it with other speakers to get the party going wherever you want, and it even lets you charge your phone if it runs out of battery.
- The JBL Xtreme 3 is a wireless speaker for parties at the pool, beach or park thanks to its waterproof and dustproof construction and portable design
- This speaker packs a loud punch with 4 drivers, 2 JBL Bass Raditaors and PartyBoost function which allows you to connect multiple JBL speakers for an immersive sound experience
- This blue wireless speaker comes with a handy carry strap and built-in bottle opener, making it easy to take the party with you, wherever you go
- With up to 15 hours playtime on a single charge, Bluetooth pairing with up to 2 devices and an integrated powerbank for charging, the music never needs to stop with the JBL Xtreme 3
- Items delivered: 1 x JBL Xtreme 3 speaker made with waterproof materials in blue, 1 x adaptor with power cable and regional plug, 1 x JBL Xtreme 3 strap, 1 x Quick Start Guide, 1 x safety sheet
JBL Charge 5, a speaker with long battery life and good sound quality at a better price.
JBL Charge 5 is a portable wireless Bluetooth speaker with which you can enjoy 20 hours of music and even have enough battery life to charge your mobile phone or tablet if you need it.
It has a high quality and very powerful sound, but you can also connect it with more speakers compatible with the PartyBoost function to make the party at home, at the beach, in the park or wherever you want. It is dust and water resistant.
- Take the amazing power of JBL Pro Sound with you both in and outdoors with an optimised racetrack-shaped driver, a separate tweeter, and dual JBL bass radiators delivering rich and clear audio
- The wireless speaker's portable design means the fun doesn't have to stop, packed with an incredible 20-hour battery life, JBL Charge 5 lets you party all day and into the night
- Wirelessly stream music from your phone, tablet or any other Bluetooth-enabled device while simultaneously charging your devices with a built-in powerbank so you never have to pause the party
- To the pool, to the park, to the shower JBL Charge 5 is fully IP67 waterproof and dustproof, so you can bring your speaker anywhere without taking a break from your tunes
- Items delivered: 1 x JBL Charge 5 Portable Bluetooth Speaker with built-in powerbank, bold JBL Pro Sound, complete with USB-C cable, safety sheet, quick-start guide and warranty card, in black
JBL Xtreme 3 Vs Charge 5: Main Differences
Battery life and charging
The Charge 5 has a better battery life, with a total of 20 hours compared to 15 hours for the Xtreme 3.
El tiempo de carga del Charge 5 es de 4 horas con respecto a las 2,5 horas de tiempo de carga del Xtreme 3. También funcionan con batería, por lo que también puedes llevarlos al exterior.
The Charge 5 is a smaller, more portable and lighter speaker that stands out for its better balanced sound, while the Xtreme 3 sounds more enveloping. You can carry it in your hand or bag. The Xtreme 3 comes with a shoulder strap, which helps with portability.
Note that the Charge 5 is about half the size and lighter. It is half the weight at 960 grams compared to 1.83 kilograms for the Xtreme 3.
Design-wise, the Xtreme 3 also has metal eyelets at the top, with a strap that clips into them. There’s a bottle opener on the belt, which has non-slip pads on the inside.
Charge 5 has many more colour options, as the Xtreme 3 can only be purchased in blue, black and camouflage.
The Charge 5 has 2 drivers, consisting of 1 x 30 watt woofer and 1 x 10 watt tweeter. The Xtreme 3, on the other hand, has 4 drivers, consisting of 2 x 25 watt woofers and 2 x 25 watt tweeters.
The Charge 5 displays tones from 65 Hz compared to the Xtreme 3 which displays tones from 55.3 Hz. The power output of the Xtreme 3 is 100 W compared to 40 W for the Charge 5. Both have 2 passive radiators.
The sound of the Xtreme is a bit louder and a bit fuller. The Xtreme reproduces lower tones and the bass is deeper than the Charge 5. The Xtreme 3 has 60% more power, but not twice as fast.
The Xtreme 3 reproduces stereo sound, but when the drivers are so close to each other and the music is heard from a distance it loses clarity. If you connect two JBL speakers via Partyboost and separate them a bit, you will get an audible stereo sound.
What are their similarities?
One of the features of both models is that they allow you to charge your mobile phone, tablet or any other device with its own autonomy, directly from the speaker, even if it is at the cost of its own battery.
Both speakers have JBL Party Boost
PartyBoost lets you connect two compatible speakers for stereo sound. Connect more than 1 and you can create the perfect sound for a party, even outdoors.
Water and dust resistant
Both speakers are water and dust resistant. With its IP67 certification, your speaker allows full immersion in water. It is able to withstand full immersion at 1 metre for 30 minutes without water entering or affecting it. So you can take them to the beach, pool or wherever you want.
Both speakers have Bluetooth version 5.1, the new version of the famous wireless communication protocol that allows you to connect your speaker to your mobile phone or computer without the need for cables and provides more precise device location and a technical improvement to make it go faster while consuming less power. However, Xtreme 3 has 3.5mm audio connectivity, something the Charge 5 no longer has.
Both speakers have a USB-C port, although the Xtreme 3 has a larger USB Type-A port.
Both models have a very similar design, with a very similar overall style. The most striking differences are the rubber bumpers on the bass radiators. Both speakers have the same physical buttons on the top of the speaker.
JBL Xtreme 3 Vs Charge 5: Which model to choose?
The main difference between the two speakers is that the Xtreme 3 is more powerful and has two additional drivers, providing a better sound experience, while the Charge 5 is more balanced in sound, although it stands out for its bass.
The latter model stands out because it has a longer battery life and a cheaper price, which is more than enough for most users. If you are looking for the most economical with good features Charge 5 is the best, if you want a better sound and more advanced features our winning option is the Xtreme 3.