Are you looking for portable Bluetooth speakers with long battery life and advanced features? You’re probably torn between the new JBL Charge 5 and the Ultimate Ears Megaboom 3.
If you are interested in these two models but are not sure which one is the best for you or which one is the best, we show you the differences between them and which one stands out more between the JBL Charge 5 and the UE Megaboom 3.
Before we compare them, let’s introduce them to you a little bit below…
EU Megaboom 3
Ultimate Ears Megaboom 3 is a portable wireless Bluetooth speakerphone with a 20-hour battery life and wireless charging that stands out for its sound. The sound is clear, enveloping and powerful, with 360-degree diffusion.
One of its main advantages is that it is highly portable, easily transportable and highly resistant, in addition to its unparalleled attractiveness. It is a floating, waterproof speaker that will sound perfect in any situation.
- Sound fidelity at any volume: The mobile loudspeaker ensures really loud, clear and room-filling 360 ° sound with rich, powerful bass that you can feel. Completely waterproof and can even swim: the ip67 protection class rt that the speaker is absolutely waterproof and dustproof and can be completely immersed in the water for up to 30 minutes
- Wirelessly rechargeable with the (separately available) POWER UP charging station, so that you can always start your next musical adventure with a full charge of energy. Magic button: play, pause and skip tracks directly on the speaker. Press to control all types of streaming music, program and navigate individual playlists for Apple Music / Deezer Premium +. no smartphone necessary
- The MEGABOOM 3 offers a whopping 20 hours of battery life. Thanks to the battery cell technology, it can last for almost a whole day on just a single charge
- Connect multiple speakers: Use the Ultimate Ears app to connect more than 150 speakers - also works between all generations of BOOM and MEGABOOM
- COMPATIBILITY: For audio playback: Support smartphones, tablets, and other devices that support the Bluetooth and Bluetooth Smart wireless audio profile [Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP)]
JBL Charge 5
The JBL Charge 5 is a portable wireless Bluetooth speaker with which you can enjoy 20 hours of music, and even charge your mobile phone or tablet if you need to.
It has a high quality and very powerful sound, but you can also connect it to up to 100 speakers compatible with the PartyBoost function to make the party at home, at the beach, in the park or wherever you want. It is dust and water resistant.
- Take the amazing power of JBL Pro Sound with you both in and outdoors with an optimised racetrack-shaped driver, a separate tweeter, and dual JBL bass radiators delivering rich and clear audio
- The wireless speaker's portable design means the fun doesn't have to stop, packed with an incredible 20-hour battery life, JBL Charge 5 lets you party all day and into the night
- Wirelessly stream music from your phone, tablet or any other Bluetooth-enabled device while simultaneously charging your devices with a built-in powerbank so you never have to pause the party
- To the pool, to the park, to the shower JBL Charge 5 is fully IP67 waterproof and dustproof, so you can bring your speaker anywhere without taking a break from your tunes
- Items delivered: 1 x JBL Charge 5 Portable Bluetooth Speaker with built-in powerbank, bold JBL Pro Sound, complete with USB-C cable, safety sheet, quick-start guide and warranty card, in black
What are the differences between JBL Charge 5 and UE Megaboom 3?
Although they are speakers with some interesting similarities, there are certain differences that make the JBL Charge 5 Vs UE Megaboom 3 comparison not as simple as it seems at first glance, check them out.
Dimensions and design
UE Boom 3 weighs 608 grams and measures 7.4 x 7.4 x 18 cm. Charge 5 weighs slightly more at 965 grams and measures 22.3 x 9.7 x 9.4 cm.
The Charge 5 features an attractive wire mesh cover that makes it stand out from other speakers while keeping its interior secure and allowing it to withstand even the toughest conditions. Its rubber caps protrude at the end. Plus, you can find it in a wide range of colours.
MEGABOOM is an attractive speakerphone covered in a tough two-tone fabric that delivers high performance. Its design has been engineered for maximum durability, which is why it has been put through 25 rigorous durability tests, with thousands of button presses, slamming and drops. Plus, you can find these speakers in 5 beautiful colours: Lagoon Blue, Nightblack, Sunset Red, Ultraviolet Purple and Urban Magenta.
Ultimate Ears MEGABOOM 3 stands out for its loud and powerful 360° sound with formidable bass, relying on its 4 presets and custom tuner to enhance the listening experience to the fullest.
Its sound is omni-directional, which means it can sound the same from all angles for maximum enjoyment at parties and outdoors.
Charge 5 gives you powerful sound thanks to its optimised wide driver, two jbl bass radiators and separate tweeter, so you can enjoy the full sound experience with one or more speakers. The sound is mono. It stands out for its spectacular bass.
One of the features of the Charge 5 is that it allows you to charge your mobile phone, tablet or any other device with its own battery life, directly from the speaker. On the Ultimate Ears Megaboom 3 this is not possible. Although it’s something that many people don’t think about when buying their new speakers, it’s a nice extra to have.
3.5 mm audio and NFC connection on Megaboom 3
The UE Megaboom 3 retains the 3.5 mm audio connection, while the Charge 5 does not. To see it, you’d have to go back to the previous model, the Charge 4. It also stands out for having NFC sensors that the Charge does not.
The Megaboom 3 has a cheaper price than the Charge 5, so if you have doubts in your selection you may opt for this model. The difference may be as much as 30 euros, although it depends on what is on offer at the time.
And what are the similarities between JBL Charge 5 and UE Megaboom 3?
There are many similarities between these high power, high sound and high performance loudspeakers, so we will briefly discuss them for you.
Connection with several loudspeakers
Both models can connect to multiple speakers, although the Charge 5 can do so with JBL PartyBoost technology and Megaboom 3 with PARTYUP technology.
Connected with JBL PartyBoost are speakers with a large connection range, even more than Megabool. If you connect two speakers, you can enjoy stereo sound, and with more, you can get the party started.
With PARTYUP you can wirelessly connect up to 150+ compatible speakers. Several Megaboom 3, Megaboom, Boom 3, Boom 2 or Boom can be connected together to create a unique sound experience.
Both models promise 20 hours of battery life. Obviously, the higher the volume, the shorter the battery life, but it is still excellent compared to other models on the market. However, the Charge 5 charges with USB-C in 5.5 hours and the other model with microUSB in 3 hours.
Both speaker models are waterproof, with IP67 certification, which means they can be submerged in up to one metre of water for up to 30 minutes without any problems, as well as offering full dust protection. The Megaboom is more durable and shockproof, although the Charge 5 has little to envy it and matches it in waterproofness.
Which model to choose?
The decision between the JBL Charge 5 and the UE Megaboom 3 is a complex one, as they are similar in many ways and differ in important ways that can make you choose one model over the other.
If you’re looking for a highly portable, virtually unbreakable, waterproof model with excellent sound and battery life at the most affordable price, you’ll want to get the MegaBoom 3.
The Charge 5 stands out as a state-of-the-art loudspeaker with a premium quality of materials, design, powerful sound and high battery life with the possibility of charging other devices. Therefore, the Charge 5 stands out for having the most advanced technology, while the Megaboom 3 stands out for its high performance at a low price. Our winning choice is the UE Megaboom 3.