Although it has been on the tablet market for some time now, Amazon is in the news after launching the new generation of its 8-inch model. After more than two years without updating this tablet, the expectation that has been generated has been at its peak. Having tested it, can we really say that it is an improvement on its predecessor? To answer this question, we encourage you to read our review. In it, we compare the differences and similarities between Amazon Fire HD 8 2022 Vs HD 8 2020 vs HD 10. Don’t miss it!
- 1 Amazon Fire HD 8 2022 Vs HD 8 2020 Vs HD 10: Criteria to evaluate the choice
- 2 Amazon Fire HD 8 2022 Vs HD 8 2020 vs HD 10: Final recommendation
- 3 Amazon: the most popular Fire HD tablets
Amazon Fire HD 8 2022 Vs HD 8 2020 Vs HD 10: Criteria to evaluate the choice
Buying one tablet or another depends mainly on what your needs are and which model best meets them. But how can you determine this properly? In this section, we analyse the most significant differences between the three Amazon models so that you can choose the best one.
1. How much autonomy do they have?
There is no doubt that one of the aspects that can most influence the purchase decision is the battery life and performance, since the main feature of the tablet is its great portability.
In this sense, the winner is the new generation Fire HD 8, which has one hour more battery life than the older version and the Fire HD 10. The latest model reaches 13 hours compared to the 12 hours achieved by the 2020 model and the Fire HD 10.
2. Processor: cores and performance
One of the most significant differences has to do with the processor in each tablet.
Fire HD 8 2020: has a 2 GHz quad-core processor.
Fire HD 8 2022: evolves to a 2 GHz hexa-core processor.
Fire HD 10: in this case, the processor is 2 GHz octa-core.
It is clear that the brand has evolved upwards, making the Fire HD 10 the best performing tablet. However, if you want to opt for one of the two smaller models, it is interesting to note that the 2022 version of the Fire HD 8 improves performance by 30% over the 2020 version.
Processor performance also determines the storage capacity of each tablet. However, in this case, the difference is minimal. On all three you can choose a 32GB or a 64GB RAM option, expandable to 1TB using a microSD card. Admittedly, the Fire HD 10 has an internal memory of up to 3 GB, slightly more than the 2 GB of the Fire HD 8 models.
3. Audiovisual technology
Like all other current electronic devices, tablets also incorporate cameras and microphones. But what are the differences?
Once again, we see a slight advantage of the Fire HD 10, which has a 5 MP rear camera, while the rear camera of the Fire HD 8 (both versions) is 2 MP. What they do share is the resolution of the selfie camera, which is 2 MP on all models. Videos can be recorded in 720 pixels.
First of all, we look at the microphones, and we see that the only thing that varies is that the Fire HD 10 tablet has two microphones, while the two Fire HD 8 models have just one.
4. Additional technology features
Next, we look at the differences and similarities in relation to other features that, while not relevant to day-to-day operation, may help you tip the balance.
- Connection with Alexa: it is worth noting that all three Amazon tablets can be synchronised with Amazon’s own virtual assistant Alexa.
- Voice View: this feature is a lifesaver for blind people, as it is a screen reader that transmits information to visually impaired people by voice or a line of Braille alphabet. All tablets are equipped with it.
- Bluetooth and WiFi: All three tablets support WiFi and Bluetooth, although the Fire HD 8 2022 supports version 5.2, unlike the other two, which support up to 5.0.
- Compatibility with Play Store: although Amazon is developed in the Google environment, none of the Fire HDs implements Play Store, so you cannot download any application only present in this virtual shop.
5. Size, design and screen type
The last aspect we look at is the aesthetics of the tablets, between which there are no major changes. If we focus on the details, there is a slight difference in weight, with the Fire HD 8 2020 weighing 355 grams, compared to 337 grams for the Fire HD 8 2022 and 465 grams for the Fire HD 10.
Screen: different size and resolution
Aesthetically, we also focus on the screen, which is the main element of a tablet. And, in this aspect, we can see that there is a change between the Fire HD 8 and Fire HD 10, as the former has an 8-inch screen, compared to the 10-inch screen of the latter. This change is not noticeable between the two versions of Fire HD 8.
In the same vein, we note a different resolution: 1200 x 800 pixels and 189 ppi in the two Fire HD 8 models compared to 1920 x 1200 pixels and 224 ppi in the Fire HD 10. Obviously, the larger the screen size, the higher the resolution.
Amazon Fire HD 8 2022 Vs HD 8 2020 vs HD 10: Final recommendation
We reach the end of the review with a pretty clear idea of what’s new in Amazon’s tablets.
The 2022 version is much better than the 2020 version of the Fire HD 8, but still lags behind the Fire HD 10 in many important features. It is, however, cheaper, which may make the new Fire HD 8 a more reasonable option for many people with financial constraints.
Looking at the overall review, the Fire HD 10 is the better performer. Not only because of its larger screen size, but also because it has a faster, full-featured processor, a higher quality rear camera and is equipped with two microphones that improve the sound quality if you make, for example, a video call.
On the other hand, if you’re not looking for such a large tablet and would rather stick with one of the two 8-inch tablets, our advice is to go for the new 2022 version. It keeps the price virtually unchanged from the previous generation, but implements major changes that make it a better-performing option. Especially in the internal processor.
In short, you now have all the information you need to choose the best tablet from Amazon. Now, it’s up to you, what your preferences and needs are.
Amazon: the most popular Fire HD tablets
We finish the article by showing you the ranking of the best-selling Amazon tablets among users, as well as different buying experiences and opinions on each of them:
- Enhanced performance: updated hexa-core processor for more responsive performance (30% faster than previous generation Fire HD 8).
- Up to 13 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching videos and listening to music at home and on the go.
- Stream or download your favourite series and films from Prime Video, Netflix and Disney+. Enjoy your favourite content from BBC iPlayer, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok, NOW and more through the Amazon Appstore.
- Fire HD 8 offers 8-inch HD display and 2 GB RAM. Choose from 32 GB or 64 GB (up to 1 TB of expandable storage with microSD card). New design is thinner and lighter than previous generation. Screen made with strengthened aluminosilicate glass. As measured in tumble tests, Fire HD 8 is twice as durable as the Apple iPad mini (2021).
- Stay connected with family and friends: ask Alexa to make video calls to friends and family, or download apps like Zoom.
- Fast and responsive: powerful octa-core processor and 3 GB RAM. 50% more RAM than previous generation.
- Up to 12-hour battery life and 32 or 64 GB of internal storage. Add up to 1 TB with microSD (sold separately).
- Brighter display: vivid 10.1" 1080p full HD display is 10% brighter than previous generation, with more than 2 million pixels.
- Enjoy your favourite apps like BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Now, Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and more through Amazon’s Appstore (Google Play not supported, subscription fees may apply).
- Stay connected: download apps such as Zoom or ask Alexa to make video calls to friends and family.
- 7" touchscreen and 16 GB or 32 GB of storage (add up to 1 TB of expandable storage with microSD).
- Up to 10 hours of reading, browsing the web, watching videos, listening to music and more.
- Enhanced performance: up to 30% faster quad-core processor and twice as much RAM (2 GB) compared to previous generation.
- Unwind with your favourite content from BBC iPlayer, Netflix, Now, Facebook, Disney+, Instagram, TikTok and more through the Amazon Appstore.
- Stay in touch with Zoom, Skype and Facebook Messenger, or ask Alexa to make video calls to friends and family.
- Includes a full-featured Fire 7" tablet (not a toy) for ages 3–7, a Kid-Proof Case with built-in stand, 1 year of Amazon Kids+ and 2-year worry-free guarantee.
- 2-year worry-free guarantee. If it breaks, return it and we’ll replace it for free. Every Fire Kids tablet also comes with a sturdy Kid-Proof Case designed to protect against drops and bumps.
- 1 year of Amazon Kids+ content, including thousands of apps, games, books, videos and favourites such as, CBeebies, Disney, Nick and more.
- Easy-to-use Parent Dashboard allows you to filter content based on child's age, set educational goals and time limits, and grant access to additional content from Netflix, Disney+ and Zoom.
- Increased battery life (up to 10 hours of mixed use) and enhanced performance—up to 30% faster quad-core processor and twice as much RAM (2 GB) versus previous generation.
- A full-featured 10.1" Full HD tablet, Kid-Friendly Case, parental controls, 2-year worry-free guarantee and 1 year of Amazon Kids+.
- Features an octa-core processor, 3 GB of RAM, 10.1" full HD display, dual cameras, USB-C (2.0) port and up to 1 TB of expandable storage. Screen made with strengthened aluminium silicate glass.
- School-age children will enjoy a 1-year subscription to Amazon Kids+ that unlocks thousands of apps, games, books, videos, songs and Audible audiobooks. They'll find educational content from National Geographic, Collins Big Cat and more.
- In addition to Kids+ content, Kids Pro tablets include access to a digital store. Children can request apps, while parents approve purchases and downloads.
- The web browser comes with built-in controls designed to help filter out inappropriate sites and let parents add or block specific websites at any time.